There are numerous types of headaches. The most common kinds include:
- Tension: Feels like a band of pressure around the head.
- Migraine: Severe pain often described as pulsing or throbbing. Symptoms can include nausea and visual disturbances.
There are other rare causes of headaches, but in almost all cases, cervical (neck) facet joint restriction/dysfunction and muscle trigger points/tightness will be present. Therefore, it is important to address the cervical spine muscles and joints. It is also vital to avoid common triggers, such as, physical and emotional stress, lack of sleep, low water intake, caffeine, aged cheeses, chocolate, processed meats, MSG, artificial sweeteners and alcohol, especially red wine.
Chiropractic Treatments May Include:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments: Adjustments help reduce headache pain, restore normal joint motion and balance musculature.
- Muscle and soft tissue techniques: To help reduce muscle tightness and pain and trigger points, particularly in the neck and upper back region.
- Therapeutic exercises: To help reduce muscle pain and tightness and improve muscle/ligament function.
- Therapeutic exercises: Specific “low tech” rehabilitation exercises and assisted stretches are given to improve posture and provide support and stability for the head and neck and prevent recurrence of headaches.
- Diet and supplement suggestions: An anti-inflammatory diet with appropriate supplementation can help reduce headaches. The most common supplement used for headaches is magnesium.
- Lifestyle modifications: Postural and repetitive stress activities may need to be addressed to reduce neck strain which can trigger headaches.